memories and coffee!!

In high school, I started drinking coffee and now it has become part of my routine. Sitting down and sipping on some coffee in the morning is the best part of my day. It allows me to reflect and prepare for the day. I love trying out local coffee shops around Waco and other cities when I travel. Coffee shops are such a convenient place to meet friends, do work and read the bible. Although some locations are better than others. A good coffee shop has comfortable seating, an interesting aesthetic and most importantly, coffee.

my best friend and I leaving CG last week

My favorite coffee shop in Waco is Common Grounds in Woodway. The experience there is better than all the other local coffee shops. The workers are always nice and greet everyone with a smile. Every single place to work is comfortable and there is plenty of good seating. The large cushions are just right for one to spread out or enough room for a few friends.The natural aesthetic may be my favorite part. The atmosphere is dimly lit in the evening but always lit nicely during the day due to natural lighting. The lighting allows for easy reading when there is much work to do. These qualities are great but you go to a coffee house for the coffee.  The coffee at Common Grounds is the best. Every season they come out with a seasonal menu, which makes it fun to try unique, limited time drinks. 

Through the years, I’ve been to Common Grounds a lot. I would go pretty much once a day in high school and now almost once a week. I’ve hung out with lots of friends, studied, gone on dates, and had a weekly bible study there. 

One of my favorite memories there was going to bible study in high school. My life group would meet up on Friday mornings to dive into the bible and talk about our lives. It was hands down my favorite part of the week. We would laugh, talk about difficulties, and most of the time, cry. 

The most distinct memory I have from those weeks was a certain Friday in November. It was a crisp morning and the sun had just started rising, two of the girls and I started walking inside. As I went to step onto the sidewalk, I tripped and fell all the way to the ground. It was so funny, we still talk about it to this day. 

The morning started off with a nice laugh and then we started our time together. I can’t remember what we read that day, but we got on the topic of how the Lord is faithful. Senior year is a big year; lots of decisions are made and it feels like lots of life ending events happen. It was a hard year for many of the girls in my group. We all went around and reflected on what was happening in our lives and the uncertainties to come. Throughout all of the reflecting, we all sat back in awe of how faithful God is to us. 

I remember telling them I had been accepted at Baylor University, and had an important decision. As I sipped on my favorite drink, we weighed out the pros and cons of Baylor and Texas Tech. It seemed like the hardest decision ever. My entire life depended on which one I chose. Although once we had everything on the table, they all looked at me and told me my decision was easy. I was in shock that they would think this decision was easy. 

My community went through why I had to go to Baylor, and at the end of our time together, I knew they were right. That day I drove to school knowing that I would be a Baylor Bear in the coming fall. 

Going back to Common Grounds now and seeing the chair where I sat that day when I decided makes me emotional. I am grateful for a special place that is not only good for the coffee drinks I enjoy, but also a place that holds such beautiful memories.


Comments